What is MapRun?
Maprun Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire offers a new dimension to running – getting you out and about and exploring the towns and parks throughout Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire.
Rather than running the same route every day, challenge yourself to visit any number of checkpoint locations and return back to the starting point as quickly as you can! Our free smartphone app will automatically record each site you visit, and at the end will upload your result so you can compare your performance against everyone else. Come back again and try a different route next time to optimise your time!
Maprun has no infrastructure on the ground – all you need is a smartphone and perhaps a print of the map; it’s a time trial rather than a race so you can run any course, any time you want!
How does it work?
Maprun is a run where you decide the route!
- You have 45 minutes, and a map with up-to 30 checkpoints to visit.
- Your goal: to score points by visiting checkpoints. Score as many points as you can, and get back to the start within the time limit.
- You can choose which checkpoints to visit, in any order, via any route.
Speed is an advantage, but the fastest runner won’t necessarily come out on top. It’ll take smart planning to find the shortest route worth the most points.
Download the MapRunF App
Your route is recorded by the free MaprunF app, available for Android and iPhone.
- The app automatically records each checkpoint you visit: it will bleep to tell you it has registered.
- You can use the map provided on the app, or print a paper map and store your phone away.
- Once you’ve finished, the app will upload your route, so you can compare your results with everyone else.
Or you can search for the app called MaprunF, by FNE Enterprises.
Once installed, you need to enter a small amount of personal information – name and so on – to identify yourself in the results system.
You should also check that your phone is correctly set up for maprun. Click here for guidance on phone settings for the maprun app.
You are then ready for your first maprun course.
*We are now recommending that you use the MapRunF app which is the latest version of MapRun.
Using the MapRun App
- Start the app.
- Tap Select Event. You’ll need to scroll down to the UK folder, and then into Potteries.
- Select the course you want to run. The course names are a bit convoluted, but look for the course name as described on our page below.
- Wait for the course and map files to download, and then tap Go to Start.
Now tap Start GPS. It may take your GPS a moment or two to locate enough satellites, in which case you’ll get a ‘Waiting for GPS signal’ message.
Once the GPS is live, you need to run or walk through the Start to trigger the course timer.
In most cases the Finish is in the same place, so it doesn’t pay to hang around too long, but the app should not trigger a Finish if you have not visited a least one checkpoint.
Remember that you need to pass through the Finish to stop the timer.
Your results should be uploaded automatically to the maprun server. If they are, you will see a prompt on the screen to allow you optionally to upload to strava. If not, you should see a prompt simply to upload results.
Finally, you can compare your results with others on the same course, and view the route you took.
We currently have the following permanent MapRun courses. You can either choose to use the map on your phone or click to print off a map and take it with you.
In addition we host MapRun activities where we create a MapRun activity which you download and access on the day.
Linear Courses = You have to complete the controls in the order they are numbered on the map.
Score Courses = You can complete the controls in any order, with the aim of getting as many as you can within the time limit.
|Course||Map (pdf file)||Results Table|
|Westport Lake - Linear||[Click Here]||[Click Here]|
|Westport Lake - Score||[Click Here]||[Click Here]|
|Tunstall Park - Score||[Click Here]||[Click Here]|
|Hanley Park - Linear||[Click Here]||[Click Here]|
|Hanley Park - Score||[Click Here]||[Click Here]|
|Central Forest Park - Score||[Clich Here]||[Click Here]|
|Westport Lake 2020 - Linear||[Clich Here]||[Click Here]|
|Lyme Valley - Score||[Clich Here]||[Click Here]|
|Tunstall Urban - Score||[Clich Here]||[Click Here]|
|Goldenhill - Score||Via MapRun Mobile App|
|Kidsgrove Urban - Score||[Clich Here]|
|Alsager Salt Line - Score||Via MapRun Mobile App|
|Kidsgrove to Tunstall - Loop Line||Via MapRun Mobile App|
Tips and Tricks
You’ll very quickly get the hang of the technology. Here are a few tips for getting the best out of your run, and maximising your points haul….
- Knowing how far you can run in 45 minutes and planning a route that is shorter than this!
- Picking a good order to visit checkpoints that is efficient and avoids running back past locations you’ve already been to
- Counting how many contours your route will cross – these mean going up or downhill and the direction of slope may not be obvious from the map.
- Spotting the fastest (normally the shortest) route between individual checkpoints
- Looking where the higher scoring checkpoints are, and if they are concentrated close together
All of these will get easier with experience, and you may find you score better the second time you run a course!